Maybe it's because we enjoy breaks and picnic lunches in the park-like area surrounding our headquarters in Temecula, California.
Maybe it's because some of Opto 22's best customers and integrators focus on conserving energy and finding solutions to environmental problems.
Or maybe it's because our own employees set an example by recycling and bicycling to work.
Whatever the reason, Opto 22 as a company has become increasingly aware of our impact on the environment and our responsibility to lessen that impact through conservation, recycling, and sustainability.
Over the years we've changed to recyclable packaging for our products and increased our own recycling of materials in our factory. We've also taken additional steps.
Using Our Own Products for Energy Management
Summers in Temecula are hot, and during the day the temperature can exceed 100 deg. F (38 deg. C). In June 2006, we decided to combat another scorching summer with some major changes designed to reduce our energy and water consumption while still staying cool and keeping our park green.
Our local electricity provider already uses some renewable resources—such as geothermal and wind—to produce the electricity we use. Using our own control and monitoring products, we made irrigation and HVAC systems more efficient, maximized the use of natural sunlight for lighting, and minimized heat absorption through roof and windows.
Over the following 12 months, we reduced overall power consumption by nearly 30%.
In 2010 we developed OptoEMU Sensors as easy-to-use appliances for monitoring energy usage. We currently track facility energy use with these industrial-grade all-in-one units, and you can see sample data from one of the EMUs in our manufacturing building.
Green Power for Our Customers
We're also delighted to help Opto 22 customers focus on using alternative energy and reducing their energy consumption. Here are a few:
- New Belgium Brewery—Watch the New Belgium Brewery video case study. Engineer Igor Valuyev explains how NBB produces great "green" beer.
- Verizon Communications—Read the Verizon Case Study (PDF), which describes cogeneration system monitoring and energy management.
- Sotavento Power Plant in Galicia, Spain—Read the Sotavento Case Study (PDF). The plant uses wind power, supplemented by hydrogen, to produce electricity.
- Mariah Meat Packing—Read the Mariah Meat Packing Case Study (PDF). Rising utility costs were threatening the plant's very existence, until a Holmes Energy monitoring system found longstanding problems that were costing Mariah hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- Thomson/RCA—Read the Thomson/RCA Case Study (PDF). This multnational company acquired accurate, detailed energy costs to bill individual departments and lessees at their 80+ acre facility in Indiana.
- SUPERVALU—Read the SUPERVALU Case Study (PDF). The large grocer saved well over $100,000 per year at a large refrigerated distribution center, through an automated demand-response energy program developed by system integrator Advanced Energy Control (AEC) and energy curtailment service provider NetPeak Energy Group.
An OptoEMU Sensor Energy Monitoring Unit can help your facility monitor energy usage and reduce energy costs. Find out more.
Could you use Opto 22 equipment for your projects, machinery, products, or research related to renewable energy, energy consumption optimization, sustainability, or environmental remediation? Our OptoGreen Grant program, started in 2007, provides Opto 22 automation hardware and software at no charge to companies and organizations who are working on products, services, or research related to "green" energy.
We've written up two case studies on OptoGreen Grant recipients:
If your organization is interested, apply today for an OptoGreen Grant.
Thanks for Helping Opto 22 Go Green
Nowadays almost all our customers have Internet access, and documentation on our website is always the latest available. We used to ship paper documentation with products, but lately we've begun removing it. It seemed silly, for example, to ship an entire manual with every brain. A customer who ordered four brains didn't need four manuals.
Now we ship a small piece of paper with each product showing a simple URL: docs.opto22.com. Here you'll find the most recent documents and downloads for any product. Just enter your product's part number and click Find.
You don't have to keep track of paper documents or give them storage space. You can access them at any time and from any location.
And if you prefer a printed version, just email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll send it out to you right away.
For the Future
We hope you'll join us in paying closer attention to environmental issues and our own responsibilities as corporate—and individual—citizens in the world.
For more information on OptoGreen: