Published: July 17, 2023
CODESYS Development System may not recognize activated licenses on groov EPIC after upgrading to firmware version 3.5.0 or higher
Firmware for the following groov EPICs:
Lower than 3.5.0
Note: This KB article is for informational purposes. This issue is not a defect in the groov EPIC firmware.
In groov EPIC firmware version 3.5.0 and higher, the CODESYS runtime has changed the way it stores and organizes license files, which may affect its ability to recognize a previously activated license.
Simply upgrading the firmware on a groov EPIC processor with an active CODESYS license from version 3.4.5 (or lower) to version 3.5.0 (or higher) will avoid any of the issues described below.
Also, CODESYS licenses stored in a groov EPIC backup file created from version 3.4.5 (or lower) firmware then restored (using groov Manage) onto version 3.5.0 (or higher) firmware will also avoid these issues.
Symptoms After Upgrading to 3.5.0 (or higher) and Workarounds
After upgrading to groov
EPIC firmware version 3.5.0 (or higher), if you do the following steps, you may encounter the issues listed in step 2:
- You enable the CODESYS controller.
- Using License Manager in CODESYS Development, you try to restore a license activated in version 3.4.5 (or lower) firmware in the version 3.5.0 (or higher) firmware:
- If using the Additional Functions -> Restore license… option to restore a license from the original Ticket ID, it will not succeed and no error will be shown.
- If using the Install Licenses... -> Install license option to restore a license from a .WibuCmRau file, you will receive an error stating "Licensing info not available. The device does not support this service."
In either case, the workaround is the same:
- Install firmware 3.4.5 (or lower) onto the groov EPIC processor.
- Restore the CODESYS license using the License Manager in CODESYS Development System.
- Upgrade the firmware to version 3.5.0 (or higher).
Symptoms After Downgrading from 3.5.0 (or higher) and Workarounds
If a CODESYS license was originally activated on firmware version 3.5.0 (or higher) and then you downgrade to firmware version 3.4.5 (or lower), the lower version of the CODESYS runtime cannot recognize the newer license.
Similarly, the CODESYS License Manager cannot restore a license that was activated in firmware version 3.5.0 (or higher) into firmware version 3.4.5 (or lower).
To resolve these issues, do the following::
- Send a request to CODESYS to issue a new license ticket ID. Explain that you are downgrading your groov EPIC firmware and the CODESYS license container versions are incompatible.
- Install the target firmware version (3.4.5 or lower) to your groov EPIC.
- After you receive the ticket ID, use the License Manager in CODESYS Development System to activate the license on your groov EPIC. For instructions, see "Connecting Processor to Gateway and Entering the CODESYS Ticket ID" in the groov EPIC User's Guide (form 2267).
Contact: Opto 22 Product Support.
Phone: 800-835-6786 or 951-695-3080
This Opto 22 Knowledge Base ('OptoKB') article is intended to provide general technical information on a particular subject or subjects and is not an exhaustive treatment of such subjects. Accordingly, the information in this OptoKB article is not intended to constitute application, design, software, or other professional engineering advice or services. Opto 22 may modify the OptoKB articles at any time. Before making any decision or taking any action which might affect your equipment, you should consult a qualified professional.
OPTO 22 DOES NOT WARRANT THE COMPLETENESS, TIMELINESS, OR ACCURACY OF THE DATA CONTAINED IN THIS OPTOKB ARTICLE AND MAY MAKE CHANGES THERETO AT ANY TIME AT ITS SOLE DISCRETION WITHOUT NOTICE. FURTHER, ALL INFORMATION CONVEYED HEREBY IS PROVIDED TO USERS 'AS IS.' IN NO EVENT SHALL OPTO 22 BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OF ANY KIND INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, LOSS PROFIT, OR DAMAGE, EVEN IF OPTO 22 HAS BEEN ADVISED ON THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
OPTO 22 DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WHETHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WITH RESPECT TO THE INFORMATION (INCLUDING HARDWARE, SOFTWARE, AND/OR FIRMWARE) PROVIDED HEREBY, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, MERCHANTIBILITY, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. Note that certain jurisdictions do not sanction the exclusion of implied warranties: thus, this disclaimer may not apply to you.
Copyright © 2023 Opto 22. All rights reserved.