Published: September 28, 2023
E1 or E2 periodically does not respond to a command (Ethernet)
Firmware for: E1, E2
This issue is infrequent and only occurs roughly 0.01% of the time for E2 brains and 0.00001% of the time for E1 brains. If your control program is communicating to an E1 or an E2 using Ethernet, then periodically, you may observe that the E1 or E2 does not respond to a command, but it will normally respond to the next command. If your control program is a PAC Control strategy, you will typically see the following:
- If the E1 or E2 is configured for 2+ tries, -539 error will show up in the controller’s message queue.
- If the E1 or E2 is configured for only 1 try, the message queue will have a -539, followed by a -534 and a -58 error, and the controller disables communication to the E1 or E2.
Do all of the following:
- Modify the control engine communication settings for the E1 and E2:
- In PAC Control, open the Edit I/O Unit dialog for the E1 and E2.
- In the Communication from control engine section, update the values for "Timeout and disable communications" fields:
- For "after ___ tries", specify 2 (one for the initial command, one for a retry).
- For "of ___ second(s) each", specify 0.5. For networks with higher latency, you may need to increase this value.
- For PAC Control strategies, add I/O enabler logic as demonstrated in the I/O Enabler for Ethernet and SNAP PAC Brains sample.
Opto 22 is investigating this issue.
Contact: Opto 22 Product Support.
Phone: 800-835-6786 or 951-695-3080
This Opto 22 Knowledge Base ('OptoKB') article is intended to provide general technical information on a particular subject or subjects and is not an exhaustive treatment of such subjects. Accordingly, the information in this OptoKB article is not intended to constitute application, design, software, or other professional engineering advice or services. Opto 22 may modify the OptoKB articles at any time. Before making any decision or taking any action which might affect your equipment, you should consult a qualified professional.
OPTO 22 DOES NOT WARRANT THE COMPLETENESS, TIMELINESS, OR ACCURACY OF THE DATA CONTAINED IN THIS OPTOKB ARTICLE AND MAY MAKE CHANGES THERETO AT ANY TIME AT ITS SOLE DISCRETION WITHOUT NOTICE. FURTHER, ALL INFORMATION CONVEYED HEREBY IS PROVIDED TO USERS 'AS IS.' IN NO EVENT SHALL OPTO 22 BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OF ANY KIND INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, LOSS PROFIT, OR DAMAGE, EVEN IF OPTO 22 HAS BEEN ADVISED ON THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
OPTO 22 DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WHETHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WITH RESPECT TO THE INFORMATION (INCLUDING HARDWARE, SOFTWARE, AND/OR FIRMWARE) PROVIDED HEREBY, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, MERCHANTIBILITY, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. Note that certain jurisdictions do not sanction the exclusion of implied warranties: thus, this disclaimer may not apply to you.
Copyright © 2023 Opto 22. All rights reserved.